Saturday, July 21, 2012

The End.

Not clydesdales, but they'll do.
This is the end of our summer in Munich, it's hard to believe. I wish I could put into words how it feels on this last night here. It's a mixture of nostalgia and longing, but also a feeling of anxiousness in preparation for our travel and arrival home. I am ready to go, but wish we could stay. It's hard to wrap my brain and heart around it.

We left Plzen today later than we expected, around 12:30. We anticipated arriving back in Munich around 3pm, but traffic and construction landed us back in town by 4 pm. Paul was excellent in the car, I hope he's the same for all our travels tomorrow.

Balloons are better than rocks!
Donnie had noticed a poster for a party hosted by Hofbrau at their brewery grounds when we were there for the tour, so he had his sights set on spending the evening there. We hadn't been to any fests since we've been here; we're missing the season of fests by a few weeks. We were pleasantly surprised by the nature of the event when we arrived. I guess Hofbrau hosts these parties once a year, called Dults, and they go all out for it.

My former life.
We got their an there were horses pulling carts in full regalia, there were kids activities, a live band, a fashion show, tents, and food. It was spectacular. The band that played was all in matching lederhosen and they were thoroughly entertaining! The fashion show was all traditional Bavarian wear, and included plenty of dancing. I was impressed. You can even buy a beer and stein for 4.50, and refills are only 2.50. That's fresh Hofbrau too, Donnie even got to pour his own.

A snack for Paul.
Coolest stein, 2.50 euro.
As we were standing there, I saw the man that had introduced us at the beginning of our tour of the brewery a few days before. I guess we are hard to forget because when we waved he came right over. He was very friendly and talked with us for quite a while, before giving us free beer coupons! Hooray for connections at the Hofbrau! ;)

We stayed for a few hours. Paul had a good time listening to the music, playing with balloons and dancing in the grass. I think he will miss Munich too. It's amazing how much he's grown since we've come. He is more a boy now than a baby and it makes me proud and sad at the same time. He's such a character, and a handful at the same time. :)


Love him.


We are now safely checked into our airport hotel, getting ready to repack for our long journey tomorrow. We go from Munich to Paris to New York to Atlanta to San Antonio. Whew, I hope it all goes well.

It really has been an adventure, these six weeks. I can't describe how amazing it's been to experience all of this with Paul and Donnie. Things are so different now from all the times we've traveled before. It's so fulfilling to have Paul to share it with. I can't wait for our next adventure as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment