Saturday, July 21, 2012

One really good tour.

Beautiful grounds
Since we decided to extend our stay in Plzen, there was no rush to get the day started yesterday. We had a delicious free breakfast, Paul took a nap, and we were ready to go by noon. :) We walked across the street and arrived just in time to sign up for an English tour of the Pilsner Urquell brewery. Actually, we were a little early, so we did some shopping in the gift shop first. I have to say, I think we picked up the coolest pen of our trip at that shop. :)

Bottling plant, and my legs.
So dramatic.













Our tour guide was kind, prompt and very informative. She walked us through the entire brewing plant,  and the old brewery. Pilsner Urquell was first made in 1842, and this particular brewery is where it was born, so to speak. This is also the only brewery that makes the Pilsner, so every Pilsner Urquell you have any where in the world is made right where we were. It was a very thorough tour, lasting almost 2 hours, but it was beautiful like the Guiness brewery, but functional like the Anhauser-Busch. They had the most visually interesting movie, and we all stood on a moving platform as it moved us through the video. The screen took up half the circular room; Paul was fascinated. I think, all in all, it is possibly the best brewery tour I've ever been on. I think Donnie would agree. (As a disclaimer for the number of pictures in this post, you had to pay to take pictures, so I got my money's worth. I think I walked away with over 75 photos. So these are my favorites.)

Heading into the cellar.
All the Pilsner you could wish for.

The tour ended in the cellar, where it was just 5 degrees Celsius, and they pour you a beer straight out of the barrels that they are aging in. It's pretty cool, and cold. It is unfiltered Pilsner Urquell, which I don't think you can get anywhere but here. Good stuff. :)

We then proceeded back to the brewery restaurant, where Paul was able to play in a cute little corner for kids while we ate. I had goulasch soup in a bread bowl, yum! I think Czech goulasch is the best in the world, and I could eat it all the time. I'll miss the yummy soups and breads when we go back to the Texas heat.

Huge barrels of beer.
Even though there was no chance of rain in the forecast, it rained on us as we made our way to the brewery museum. I've never learned so much about the history of beer and beer making. I guess in the medieval ages, people used to brew their own beers, and put a wreath out on their door to invite people in to drink. That's how taprooms and pubs started, at least in Plzen. Pilsner Urquell was formed when all of the citizen brewers got together and decided the quality of Plzen beer was not good, and they set out to make a good one. Boy, they did.

The tasting room.
After another snack in a cute pub, we headed back to the hotel. The rain and wind was getting to us and Paul had no afternoon nap, so we made it an early night.

My favorite shot.
YUM.























The play area, can you see Paul?
















It doesn't feel like our last day here. We have to make the 3 hour trek back to Munich in few hours, and then decide how to spend our last lingering hours there. I can't believe it's winding down. I look forward to home, but I chuckled a little looking at the forecast. It's supposed to be 64 degrees in Munich today and 100 in San Antonio. Yikes. I can't wait for sunshine though. :)


 I will try to post one more time before we leave, but our summertime in Munich is almost over. Thanks for reading and see some of you really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment